Calgary Society for Healthy Child Development
Learn more about us – our history and our Board of Directors.
In 2022 our Society marked Twenty-five years; the pandemic prevented a celebration event.
To mark the accomplishments, we wrote a history of the origins and evolution of the Calgary Society for Healthy Child Development.
If you are interested, the full document is available 25 Years
In 1997 a group of visionary men and women, all involved in some aspect of children’s services, began their quest. They wanted to develop a program of prevention and early intervention for children at risk. They began with an extensive literature review. This review showed the life-altering consequences of toxic stress on healthy child development. This type of stress put these children at risk for learning, behaviour, physical and mental health challenges. Although the literature review was completed in 2003, the information remains relevant today. To read the full review, click Prime Time Research, 2003.
Through persistence, this group raised funds for a demonstration project (2007-2010) to show the effectiveness of an in-home prevention program, working with high-risk families. This was the beginning of the Prime Time program. It so named because these early months/years were the prime time for intervention. The Prime Time program, offered by carya Calgary, continues today.
The work of the Calgary Society of Healthy Child Development is governed by the Board of Directors.
All our board members are passionate about the importance of all children being given the opportunity to grow up healthy and strong.
2023-2024 Board Members
President, Chris Beatty
Past President, Sheena Mills
Vice-President, Taorid Ashiru
Secretary, Daniel (Dan) O’Connor
Treasurer, Nexhmie Sulejmani
Director, Onyinye Odih
Join Our Board
Want to build your volunteer Board experience?
Calgary Society for Healthy Child Development is looking for individuals who support the importance of healthy early child development. The term of a Director is three years, with an option to renew. It includes a commitment to attend 3-5 Board meetings/year. Currently, the meetings are virtual. Board experience is appreciated but not required.
The main activities of the Board include:
* raising funds for the Prime Time program; offered by carya Calgary, the program serves families with children 0-6 years, supporting famiies to build connections, strengthen their parenting and relationships and learn more about the early years of childhood. You can learn more about Prime Time.
* education and awareness through research-based information on our website and social media.
We welcome these skills/experience:
* using social media (currently Instagram and Facebook)
* accounting and financial practice for the role of Treasurer
* website design and maintenance
* web editor (posting content)
* planning small education events (online and/or in-person)
Interested? Please contact us for more information.
Contact us: email@example.com